Kim Hyok Chol and Sendagorta./ Photos: TD and Casa América
The Diplomat. 08/07/2017
The North Korean ambassador to Madrid, Kim Hyok Chol, was summoned last Thursday to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where he was transmitted the protest of the Spanish Government by the launching of a new missile of intercontinental reach the past day 4.
The head of North America, Asia and Pacific, Fidel Sendagorta, who, according to a Foreign Ministry note, told the ambassador the rejection by Spain of what he considers a “serious escalation” in the process in which the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) wants to provide itself with full military nuclear capability.
Sendagorta also told Kim Hyok Chol that the Spanish executive “looks with increasing concern” at Pyongyang’s steps in this direction, “which threaten regional and global peace and security and can provoke a conflict if immediate action is not taken immediately “.
The Government calls on Pyongyang to stop violating UN resolutions
The Director-General also recalled that ballistic tests were carried out in violation of the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and the petition was forwarded to the DPRK Government to comply in all its terms, suspend its nuclear and ballistic programs and create the conditions for a constructive dialogue to take place.
Spain has already convened the North Korean ambassador in September last year for another nuclear test and has repeatedly expressed his protests over the ballistic trials of Kim Yong-un, a matter recently addressed by Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis with american colleague Rex Tillerson during his visit to Washington as it is one of the top concerns of the Donald Trump Administration.