Text and photo: Antonio Colmenar.
The locality of Trujillo (Cáceres) is located between the meadows of the Tajo and Guadiana rivers. It has an important group of churches, castles and family seats structured around its main square, but it is mainly known for having been the birthplace of illustrious conquerors of America in the 16th century.
For this reason, Trujillo is framed within the so-called Route of Conquerors, which goes through localities of Extramadura such as Medellín, Villanueva de la Serena or Jerez de los Caballeros. The locality witnessed the birth of Francisco de Pizarro, discoverer of Peru, and of Francisco de Orellana, who discovered the Amazon River. However, these were not the only adventurers. Other illustrious figures, such as Friar Jerónimo de Loayza, first bishop of Cartagena de Indias, or Nuflo de Chaves, discoverer of Bolivia, were born there.
The city is structured around the monumental main square, which is presided by an equestrian statue of Pizarro made in bronze. In the 16th century, it became a noble square, since conquerors and different noble families started building houses and palaces in it.
One of the most outstanding buildings there is the Palace of the Marquis of the Conquest or the Coat of Arms. Its construction, in 1570, was paid by Hernando Pizarro. Its façade has a corner balcony with plateresque decoration and two balustrade columns, which includes the coat of arms of Francisco Pizarro.
Dominating the city, there is a castle of Arab origin, built in the time of greatest splendour of the Caliphate of Córdoba. The building stands out for its beautiful albarrana towers and two wells or cisterns in its parade ground. In the southern part of the bastion is the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Victory, patron saint of the city.