EL BURGO DE OSMA:
GASTRONOMY, HISTORY, CULTURE AND THERMAL SPRINGS.
3 days / 2 nights.
Guided visits to Burgo de Osma, Calatañazor, El Sabinar, La Fuentona, Tiermes Archaeological Site “The Spanish Pompeii”, Wine Cellar of Ribera del Duero with wine tasting and pairing.
Accommodation in the Thermal Hotel located in the historical building of the 16th century.
Burgo de Osma, in the province of Soria, is one of the most beautiful towns, declared Tourist Town, an urban space with extraordinary corners. Its Castilian gastronomy, its cathedral, its wall, its bishop’s palace and its medieval arcades; this is a combination worth to know.
Departure from Madrid: To be determined.
MADRID – BURGO DE OSMA (../../C)
Departure from Madrid by bus towards Burgo de Osma. Arrival at the hotel, room distribution with a welcoming drink and free time to enjoy the thermal pool of the hotel. You can just relax or have some of the treatments offered in the hotel (ask us about the options available). Welcoming dinner with a testing menu and accommodation.
BURGO DE OSMA – TIERMES ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE – BURGO DE OSMA (D/A/C)
Breakfast in the hotel and departure towards Tiermes. Visit of the archaeological site with a local archaeologist guide graduate in Geography and History and authorised by the Castile and Leon Council. Tiermes archeological site, in Montejo de Tiermes, stands out among the diversity of the archaeological remains in the Iberian Peninsula. Around the middle of 1930, Blas Taracena, the Spanish archaeologist, organized systematic excavations in the place and called Tiermes “the Spanish Pompeii”. Return to Burgo de Osma and brunch in the hotel. In the afternoon, city tour with a local guide. We will see the most outstanding monuments in town, its wall, its main square, its bishop’s palace and its star monument, the cathedral. The cathedral makes a beautiful combination with the square named after it. Some small chapels from the romantic area have been preserved. The main façade is flanked by a tower that starts with a gothic style in its construction and ends with a baroque style. The interior preserves works of great value and beauty such as the altarpiece by Juan de Juní. The cloister, of flamboyant gothic style, is really beautiful. Attached to it is the chapterhouse with a square structure. A treasure of funeral art is inside of it: San Pedro de Osma’s grave, in sculpted and polychrome limestone. This temple has the Beatus of Liébana, a wonderful book with Romanesque-Mozarabic miniatures. Dinner in the hotel with a testing menu and accommodation.
BURGO DE OSMA – CALATAÑAZOR – EL SABINAR – LA FUENTONA – LA VID – BURGO DE OSMA- MADRID (D/A/..)
Breakfast in the hotel and departure towards Calatañazor, El Sabinar and La Fuentona. Nature and history follow one another in this land. A good example is the locality of Calatañazor where, next to the place where Almanzor was defeated, is the most dense and impressive juniper woodland in Europe and a place full of mystery and charm, La Fuentona. La Fuentona of Muriel de la Fuente is the spring where the river Abión begins to flow. This is, without a doubt, one of the most bucolic places in the province, formed by the emergence of water that, after flowing through underground passages, springs up between rocks. This space was declared Natural Monument by the Castile and Leon Council. On the way to Calatañazor, the old meadow of this town is today a protected wood. The Juniper Woodland of Calatañazor has junipers with more than three metres of perimeter and centuries of history. It is usual to find juniper’s wood in the traditional architecture of the area, but here it is alive and in all its splendour. And Calatañazor, where Julián Marías placed his “journey to the year 1000”. And the thing is that among the walls, the castle, the towers and the battlements, it seems we can still hear the arms that defeated Almanzor in the year 1002, in the water meadows that the locals still call the “Field of Blood”.
After these wonderful visits, you will go to La Vid for the visit to the Ribera del Duero wine cellar, El Lagar de Isilla. There you will enjoy a tasting of 4 auteur wines combined with delicious appetizers. The wine cellar is located in a property of colonial style of 1980. At the moment, the wine cellar is placed at the old buildings, respecting the fine materials such as wood and stone with brick. The wine cellar is made up of five warehouses and a social building with offices, a tasting room and a typical porch embracing it. Next to the wine cellar there is a colonial building called “La Casona de La Vid”, completing the oenology complex. Once the visit and the tasting end, you will come back to Burgo de Osma in time for the farewell brunch with a glass of cava. In the afternoon, return trip to Madrid. On arrival, end of the trip and of our services.
Price per person:
Burgo de Osma Thermal Hotel Burgo de Osma (Standard Room)
First category (4*): 645€
Based on double room, minimum group of 15 people (up to 20 people).
Thermal Hotel Burgo de Osma:
The Thermal Hotel Burgo de Osma is located in the southwest of the province of Soria, in the town Burgo de Osma, declared Tourist Town and a Historical-Artistic Combination. A magical place with high quality facilities and services ideal to rest, take care of you, and organize your company events and personal celebrations. Corners with charm, prepared to captivate you and the most advanced techniques to apply thermal treatments. A place created to enjoy and relax.
Life at the Thermal Hotel has its epicentre in the beautiful Renaissance courtyard covered by a big glazed dome where the hotel’s social life takes place. Under the central courtyard you can find the two stories of the spa, the leisure pool and the contrasts circuit.
The Thermal Hotel Burgo de Osma is built on the Renaissance University of St. Catherine, founded in the 16th century by bishop Pedro Álvarez de Acosta. The hotel’s distribution has been adapted to this splendid building which has a square structure respecting its original model, structured around the beautiful Renaissance Courtyard, turned into sitting rooms, café and restaurants, and covered by a big glazed dome which makes of this space the undeniable star of the stay in our hotel.
Two of its arcades have been preserved, the one on the ground floor with half-pointed arches on slim Tuscan columns and the one on the first floor with elliptical arches, as well as the beautiful flight of stone stairs communicating the cosy rooms. The spa is under this great courtyard of columns and receives nice zenith lighting through the skylight decorating the centre of the cloister, bathing the modern pool of mineral-medicinal water, “Thermal Cloister”. The contrasts area is inspired by the Mozarabic chapel of “Saint Baudelio” of Berlanga.
In the wonderful plateresque entrance door of the building, the image of Saint Catherine stands out on the lintel, in honour of those who built this University which was the venue for the faculties of Theology, Philosophy, Law and Medicine, finishing its university services in the academic year 1840-41 due to the Independence War. In its subsoil, people looked for curative water and they found our excellent oligomineral, calcium bicarbonate, hypothermal and medium mineralization waters, making the prestigious University of St. Catherine the first Thermal Hotel in the province of Soria.
The hotel has 70 rooms, being 5 of them Suites, 10 of them Junior Suites and 2 of them completely adapted to clients with reduced mobility. All rooms have a free Internet connection through a Wi-Fi system as well as the rest of the common or private areas. The bathroom is completely equipped with everything you may need during your stay as well as a bathrobe, a bathing cap and slippers.
Our kitchen wisely combines seasonal products from the market with Castilian traditional ones obtaining a very pleasant result. We have a very large wine list with references of the best national and international wines.
The hotel has a café, a restaurant, private dining rooms, a celebration room with capacity for 240 people and meeting rooms adaptable to your needs.
• Transportation by a private luxury bus for the entire programme.
• A two night stay at Burgo de Osma in a double room with breakfast included.
• Breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner with tasting menu, with mineral water, wine and herbal teas according to the programme.
• Welcoming drink upon arrival to the hotel.
• A glass of cava at the end of the farewell brunch in the hotel.
• Guided visit in Spanish and English to the Tiermes Archaeological Site with a local guide and tickets included.
• Guided visit in Spanish and English to Calatañazor, El Sabinar and La Fuentona with a local guide and tickets included.
• Guided visit in Spanish and English to Burgo de Osma with a local guide and tickets included.
• Unlimited access to the active pool of mineral-medicinal water of the hotel with different Jacuzzis, beds and individual seats of bubble massages, series line of relaxing streams, water curtains and cannons and wide resting areas.
• Bathrobe, slippers and bathing cap to use during your stay at the hotel.
• Guided visit in Spanish and English to the Wine Cellar El Lagar de Isilla with an auteur wine tasting (4 wines) combined with delicious dishes.
• Basic travel insurance (we recommend hiring our cancellation insurance, consult coverage and supplements).
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED
• Treatments offered by the hotel.
• Drinks in lunch and/or dinner, except indicated otherwise.
• Porters in airports and/or hotels.
• Tips for guides, porters and drivers.
• Fees and taxes derived by the use of cameras in monuments, museums, natural and/or urban spaces, or any other place which requires a payment for the use of this type of equipments.
• Personal expenses such as laundry, minibar in hotels, telephone, etc.
• Any other services not specified in the section “Services included”.
Take into account:
- Check-in / check-out hours: 14:00 and 12:00 respectively.
- Visits and trips order can be altered (but not their content) because of the weather or because of any other reason and always because of reasons outside our organization.
For further information, please read our general conditions http://www.vertierra.com/condiciones-generales.php
- The price of the trip can be revised until 21 days before the date of the departure due to unforeseen increases in the air taxes or in fuel, to fluctuations in currency, etc.
- This programme has been prepared based on current fees on 10 April 2014 for a group of at least 15 people and up to 20.
- The programme for this trip will be subject to the regulations established by the Legislative Royal Decree 1/2007, of 16 November, regulating combined trips.
- General conditions: http://www.vertierra.com/condiciones-generales.php
- The cancellation of the services will be subject to inspection according to the moment it is made. Depending on the cancellation conditions of each supplier of air and/or land services.